My Special Education Tale

My Special Education Tale

A hypertext narrative by

Jessica Zoé Chabot-Gauvin

Created with

The Virtual Writing Tutor Grammar Checker

Next

My Special Education Tale

A New Start.

It's finished! 3 year of hard work as a straight A's, internships and lack of sleep later, I have my diploma in Special Education! I loved studying at Cégep du Vieux-Montréal; but now the real game start! It's time to me to return to adult reality to practice my dream job. But I have a problem! Too many possibilities of work environment was offered to me and now I need to choose! I could work for the CIUSSS East-of-the-Island-of-Montreal and take part of the health and social service system; or maybe I could work in schools of the CSSDM and work with young people, I love Young people! I could also work in community organisms and give to my fellow citizens. I really don't know what I'm suppose to choose to be sure of a happy life?

Choice 1 : CIUSSS.

Choice 2 : CSSDM.

Choice 3 : Community Organizations.

Jean Gagnon, CC BY-SA 3.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

CIUSSS.

CIUSSS is full of promise for my career! The opportunities of field are really large! Working for the government is the chance to make a premium wage with all the overtime offers what's mean a quick approval for a mortgage for my dream house! After all the interview process, the HR gave me 3 propositions: working for the CRDITED of Montreal with people with intellectual disabilities and autism ; Montreal young center to work in a rehabilitation center with children or teenagers with behaviour problems; and finally, work in hospital environment. Every clientele proposes a challenge and different realities. What do I choose?

Choice 1 : CRDITED of Montreal.

Choice 2 : Montreal Young Center.

Choice 3 : Hospital Environment.

Gouvernement du Québec, CC BY-SA 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

CSSDM.

Of course! I choose to work in schools! I'll always dream to help future generations! After a 5 steps interview process and a meticulous background check I'm officially hired by the CSSCDM! After a period of 3 months where I needed to wake up every morning at 6 o'clock, waiting for a call of a school for replacement; the HR is proposing me a full time job. I can choose to work with children in a primary school, or with teenagers in a secondary school. What do I choose?

Choice 1 : Primary School.

Choice 2 : Secondary School.

Sébastien Bertrand, CC BY 2.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Community Organizations.

I will dedicate my career to help my community. The wage is lower compared to a government job, but I'll make the good for people who really need it and are too often forgotten. I know I wont be able to set aside money as I would like but it will be a really gratifying career. After sending a billion of resume, a lot of organizations call ed me back and wanted to hire me. First, It's time to choose a field. I could work with sex worker, addict people or homeless people. Which one becomes my clientele?

Choice 1 : Sex Worker.

Choice 2 : Addict People.

Choice 3 : Roaming People.

liftarn, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

CRDITED of Montreal.

The CRDITED is in lack of employee so a lot of vacant position were offered to me. Bonus, they give compensation package and stability, what a great choice! Now it's time to me to find my way and choose my clientele. I could work with people with intellectual disease. That means I'll do an on-the-job-training to be up to date with the intervention method. I could work with autism people, a clientele I already learn the rope during my student job as an accompanist at Autisme Montreal. Which people I'll help to live a fulfillment life?

Choice 1 : Intellectual Disease People.

Choice 2 : Autism Spectrum People.

Illustrated by Jasmina El Bouamraoui and Karabo Poppy Moletsane, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons

Montreal Young Center.

I'll help young people to find their way beyond the problems and trauma they experienced. I had my second internship at the Young Center of Montreal, so I know what about I'll be confronted with. Girls are emotional; boys try to be the boss and show off with violence. Both communicate with confrontation and have lack of trust in others. It's time to choose if I want to work with girls or boys?

Choice 1 : Youth Rehabilitation Center for Girls.

Choice 2 : Youth Rehabilitation Center for Boys.

Jeangagnon, CC BY-SA 3.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Hospital Environment.

I go to an orientation interview with the HR department. At the end of interview, 2 fields seem more interesting. The first one is the CHSLD career where I'll work with old people keeping their autonomy and be sure they keep good health of body and mind. The second concerns mental illnesses. It could be a very good trip, I am still amazed by the psychology and this work is literally deep work in the world of the human spirit and its disease. Which one I choose?

Choice 1 : CHSLD.

Choice 2 : Psychiatric Institute.

Pierre Camateros, CC BY-SA 2.5 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5, via Wikimedia Commons

Secondary School.

Finally, I'm working with teenagers! My supervisor informed me a new job will open in special education. For the next year, the school will split the job in two department. One of the Special Ed. will work with the first cycle (secondary 1 and 2 students), the second one will work with the second cycle (secondary 3, 4 and 5). The school gives me the priority of choice and I'm in a dilemma. If I choose the first cycle, I will intervene with childish problems and that can become a dead-end job to me in the long term. working with the second cycle can be really fun, but they are able to misconduct and some have a criminal behavior. Which one I choose?

Choice 1 : The First Cycle.

Choice 2 : The Second Cycle.

Alagich Katya, CC BY 2.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Primary School.

Now I was hired and chose I'll work in primary school, it's time to me to find the good one where I'll evolve great. After reviewing in-depth the list of schools, 2 come back more often than not in my though : Sacré-coeur : my childhood school and Félix-Leclerc the school where I've made my last internship. If I work at Sacré-coeur School, I'll can be more efficient in my time management because it's close to my house. If I work at Félix-Leclerc, I'll be more efficient since the first day because I have a foot in the door and known already the staff and the children. Which one I choose?

Choice 1 : Félix-Leclerc School.

Choice 2 : Sacré-Coeur School.

This file is not in the public domain. Therefore you are requested to use the following next to the image if you reuse this file: © Yann Forget / Wikimedia Commons

Sex Worker.

As a feminist, I couldn't choose a better work perspective. But it times to me to think about what is my position about prostitution. If I want to be come in handy to the organization I'll choose, it's important that I have the same way about their position. Two position exists, abolitionist who think prostitution need to disappear and non-abolitionist who think prostitution should become legal and structured by the government. Both wants the well-being of the sex-workers but with a different way. So, am I abolitionist or non-abolitionist?

Choice 1 : Abolitionist.

Choice 2 : Non-abolitionist.

Wilfredor, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons

Addict People.

I make my choice, I'll help people to get out of their addictions! But for now, I need to find with which kind of addiction I want to manage. Two organization ask me to join their team. The first one cares about alcohol addiction and the second care about drugs addiction. I have a past with both but I have put aside my own addictions for a long time and I feel my own journey can be useful for my career. I tempt the devil with drugs addict people or alcoholic?

Choice 1 : Drugs Addict People.

Choice 2 : Alcoholic.

Attribution is to be given to Rehab Center Parus. When using on the Web, a link to http://rebcenter-moscow.ru is appreciated., CC BY-SA 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Homeless People.

In Montreal, homeless people can't be counted, I'll never be out of work. I could work as a street worker. It's leg work and I'll never need to return to a gym in my life. I could also work in a center for homeless people. It would be more secure and I could stay inside far from inclement weather. What ever I'll decide, I know I'll make a difference in our cold world. Do I'll stay comfortably inside or I'll go confront mother nature?

Choice 1 : Stay Comfortably Inside.

Choice 2 : Confront Mother Nature.

Wilfredor, CC BY-SA 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Intellectual Disease People.

10 years later... After 10 great years workiing with people in intellectual disease, I lost the drive to work. The drop of too much happen last week when I tried to calm down a client violent crisis, and he accidentally broke my left arm. It's times to me to explore another clientele.

Choice 1 : A New Start.

Acabashi, CC BY-SA 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Autism Spectrum People.

10 years later: I still love my job. Now that I'm full of experience, I take interns every year. It's a wonderful gift to see my trainee discovering the autism spectrum world and fall in love too with these people. I wish I'll keep this job to my retirement and I'll probably keep contact by volunteering after my career.

Choice 1 : A New Start.

I, Drriad, CC BY-SA 3.0 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/, via Wikimedia Commons

CHSLD.

Only 3 months after I started working in CHSLD, I knew if I did nothing I'll be a huge case of alienation. This jobs is boring me! I need more challenge at work. It's a feat every morning to get off my bed when I know it's a work day. My supervisor tried to deter me to leave but my decision is done. Tomorrow I'll quit!

Choice 1 : A New Start.

Breathe Icon Team: Sebastian Porta, Cory Kontros, Andrew Starr-Bochicchio, CC BY-SA 3.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

It happened! I found love! But it's one of my clients and my supervisor discovered our flirtation game. He fired me for inappropriate behaviour at work! He doesn't understand true love. I'll still love you Mister J.!

Write this part of the story here and present your reader with choices.

Choice 1 : A New Start.

Vincent Stoessel, CC BY 3.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Youth Rehabilitation Center for Girls.

During an interview with one of the girls I'm responsible of, I started crying when she told me her life and how her parents abused of her when she just a little girl. She started to take care of me. It's really not how an interview is supposed to be. I'm supposed to be the thoughtful person she can count on, not the contrary. I'm probably too sensitive and sympathetic for this job, I'll change my field!

Choice 1 : A New Start.

Vincent Le Moign, CC BY 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Youth Rehabilitation Center for Boys.

During a night shift, Nathan, one of the boys of the unit, asked me if he can talk to me in private. He followed me in the office and closed the door. As usual, the door locked automatically. Quickly, Nathan grabed me and pushed me on the floor. I found nothing to hinder him, and he started to sexual abuse me. The day after, I tried to work normally but I could not get out of my head my perpetrator's face because I saw him living is life as usual. I supposed to be a figure of authorities not her recipient. I quit the job and finish as a waitress.

Choice 1 : A New Start.

Ron Mader from Henderson, Nevada, USA, CC BY-SA 2.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0, via Wikimedia Commons

The First Cycle.

What a dream jobs! This year, I organized a volunteering abroad with the first cycle students of the school! They are really more mature than I expected and really want to make a different in the world. They are really woke, and they chose the destination by themselves : Mexico. We will help cleaning beaches and spend 3 days in a childcare organization. It will be an invaluable experience of life for everyone!

Choice 1 : A New Start.

gary4now, CC BY 3.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

The Second Cycle.

2 months ago, one of the most popular girls of the school committed a suicide. Since her suicide, 3 others student followed her in the death. We are confronted to a suicide wave. I'm overwhelm by group interventions and the anti-suicide campaign that I started to stop this dreadful teenager suicide wave. I always try to understand why it happened in our school! I wish the best for our students and I'll be strong to abolish the violence we live at the moment! I'll always be there for my students!

Choice 1 : A New Start.

Manos Bourdakis, CC BY-SA 3.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Félix-Leclerc School.

How have I thought I would be welcomed like a family member? In fact, the director and the staff still treat me as an intern and under estimate me. The sweet Special Educator who trained me during my internship doesn't act the same with me now! She seems to see at me like a competitor and makes my days a hell! I'll finish this school's year and change to a better workplace! God I hate office politics!

Choice 1 : A New Start.

Sacré-Coeur School.

It's wonderful to work in a place where I have so many sweet childhood memories! Some of my childhood teachers are still teaching and it's really funny to drink coffee with people who taught me when I was little girl. With their anecdotes, Now I know that I was a troublemaker.

Choice 1 : A New Start.

Abolitionist.

On a dark April night, I was followed by the pimp of one of my clients without realizing it. On the next morning headlines we read, '' Murder by strangulation of an unknown woman who probably worked to help with sexual workers. No suspects yet. ''

Choice 1 : A New Start.

D. Wiberg sur Wikipédia anglais, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

Non-abolitionist.

30 years later: After a successful career to fight for the legalization and supervision of prostitution, we succeed in having the support of the government. Since I was at the head of the movement for over 15 years, the law will bear my name. I can now retire in peace.

Choice 1 : A New Start.

ManesP, CC BY-SA 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Drugs Addict People.

At the end of a shift, exhausted, I help a client to inject heroin. Due to fatigue, I forget to put on gloves and accidentally prick myself with the dirty needle. The client looks at me uncomfortably and informs me that he has AIDS. 10 years later, I died of the disease having contributed to clinical trials.

Choice 1 : A New Start.

Alcoholic.

After spending years helping alcoholics overcome their problem, I too fell into alcoholism. I secretly started drinking at work and lost my job for drinking with a client.

Choice 1 : A New Start.

Stay Comfortably Inside.

After a year of working at the center, I realize that I feel like I am working for nothing. Despite my efforts to help the most disadvantaged, I see that they do not seem to want to improve their situation. Disillusioned, I am looking for another job.

Choice 1 : A New Start.

Confront Mother Nature.

During one of my tours, I notice one of my regulars lying on the ground in the middle of the road. Even if there is not much traffic, I decide to go help him get to the sidewalk, because it's not a safe place to take a nap. As he is on his way to the sidewalk he turns around and shouts attention! I get hit by a BMW and die instantly.

Choice 1 : A New Start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What About the Special Education